Thursday, January 5, 2012

Hello World, its 2012, and I'm on a MISSION!

Why hello there.  My name is Megan, and I am a recent graduate of the University of Missouri's Architectural Studies department.  I have always wanted to keep a blog, and in the past it has somehow seemed to slip through the cracks.  Now that I am out of school, and not nearly as busy as I was when taking design classes, I hope to write at least 5 times a week.  I want this blog to be partially about what is going on in my life, and partially about my biggest passion; DESIGN!

I am getting ready to move back to Kansas City, with my dad (gulp).  I am also getting ready to start a new internship in downtown Kansas City, Missouri, so I will be talking about my experiences while I'm there.  Although this internship is not exactly the interior design path I see myself in, I feel like it will be a great experience for me.  As I continue to look for a full time job, I will keep you guys updated in my search.  Another thing I love to do is pull together things that really excite me at the moment.  Right now I am trying to get things together to re-do my own bedroom.

My bedroom style and color pallet has been the same for over 3 years now.  And as an interior designer, that can be really BORING!  Plus my style has changed a lot since then, so now I am trying to really incorporate what I have, and bring in new pieces that will really reflect who I am as a person and a designer.  So I guess I will start off with what I have now.  My bed is just a plain old full size bed on a frame, pretty boring, and my bed spread is cream with black and a hint of metallic colors.  So when putting together my room I got lots of black, white/cream, and metallic accessories and what not.  The styling of this bedspread was also very girly, and hinted to a more french provincial style (in my eyes).  So I have a very detailed and embellished dresser that is black with silver pulls.  I got a few cane back chairs, and reupholstered them with black and white fabric, and even painted my bookshelf black with cream on the inside of the shelves.  It was great for a while, but I am so sick of all of this now, and I want COLOR!  I know this may be a little crazy, but I was a little scared of committing on a color for a while (i'm a designer for goodness sake, i know!  lol).  I'll blame it on the way I was raised in my parents house (which I'm sure I'll get into later).  So I have always been one to love all colors, and never really had a favorite color as a young adult.  Then I started to discover my love for gray and yellow.  Thus, an inspiration was born.

Am I right in saying that these are just AMAZING!  :D
I love them so very much!
So as I began to look for things that I would love to have in my room, many things came and went because I was either unsure about them or they just were outside of my budget.  One of the first pieces that I really fell in love with was the ADORABLE yellow rosette pillows from Target.  Anyone who knows me, will tell you that I am addicted to Target!  lol  So after months of eyeing this, but just talking myself out of buying it I just set it aside in my mind.  By the time I realized that I would be pretty disappointed with out purchasing a few of these beauties, I thought they were completely out of stock.  I couldn't find them on their website, and my local Target was out of them.  One weekend when I was in Kansas City staying with my boyfriend Grant, we went to Target to pick up a few things and I found them!  So I snatched up two of them right then and there (regardless of Grant thinking I was a little nuts over them).









Love chevrons!  and they're
so popular right now!

This was a great price for this
Dwell pattern!
The next few items I purchased were a few more pillow covers I found on etsy and just fell in love with.  They were from skoope's etsy shop which has a ton of great pillow covers and other accessories for your home.  She was really great with getting my order to me in a timely manner as well.  I will definitely use her again when working on my living room (once I get my own place).  So since I already had an idea on what I wanted my bed spread to be, I started looking for not only yellow and white pillow covers, but also some gray and white pillow covers.  These are the two pairs I decided on purchasing (shown to the left and right).  Not only did I really like the patterns that she had available in her shop, but the quality and the price was what really made me go with purchasing from her.  I highly suggest her! :)

I got the 5'x7' rug, and it fits perfectly next to my bed!
So now this got me up to about the end of November, and these were the only pieces I had so far.  I really had my eye on a duvet from west elm.  But I just couldn't afford it at the time.  So classes kept going, and I got through finals week and graduation, and then was able to go home for a little while for the holidays.  I went into a Crate & Barrel store, and saw one of their rugs was being deeply discounted for Christmas shoppers.  I mentioned it to Grant as something I'd like for Christmas and low and behold he actually ended up getting it for me!  Yay!  I was a very happy girl friend!  So now this little beauty will now reside next to my bed.  All I need to do with it now is put a rug pad underneath it, so it doesn't slip around on my hardwood floor.  I have also found a product that comes in a tape-like roll, that is for stabilizing rugs on hardwood floors.  I have used it before and it works great!  I'm pretty sure I got it at Target, and I'll probably end up using it with this rug.

Mine has triangles also incorporated in the design.  It's a
little worn, but I absolutely love it!





Since I was home for Christmas, that meant I had to bunk up on the couch (since we had my grandma staying with us this year).  My mom pulled out a few quilts for me to use, and one of them just happened to be yellow and white.  As soon as I saw it I was in love!  I asked her if it would be alright for me to use, and she said yes!  I found out that it was one that my great grandmother had made a long time ago, which made the quilt even more dear to me!  I had been looking around for a quilt as well, and all of them that I was interested in were a lot more money than what I wanted to spend.  Quilts are great to have at the end of your bed as an accent, and that extra blanket you can pull up over you on a cold night.  I don't have an actual picture of it for you guys to see, but this one is very similar to it.

the $7.50 lamp steal I got at
Target!  I ended up giving one
to my sister for her new apartment.
I should also mention that many of my accessories are easily paint-able, so I know that a lot of the little vases, lanterns, etc. I can paint white, gray, yellow, or whatever I decide.  That's one thing that I always try to keep in mind, especially when shopping at salvation army, flea markets, or antique shops (which I do all the time!  I find great stuff for great prices!).  I always check out the clearance section in Target too,  in the past few months I snagged 2 lamps for $7.50 that were originally $30!  Another lamp I got for $9 that was originally $25, and a vase for $6 that was originally $18 (which was an ugly pale purple, and I painted it with a nickel type finish).  I still really need to find a new dresser, since I have decided to donate my current one to the salvation army.  It is great, but the style and color is totally wrong for me now.  Also the drawers don't function as well as they should; I'm pretty sure the drawer fronts are new to the piece and they always fall when you pull them out all the way.  I'm sure someone will enjoy it, and I am glad I can donate it to someone for a low price that really needs it.  I have decided to keep my book shelf, even though it has some scroll detail on it, I just can't part with it.  I am going to re-paint it however, just not sure what color yet.  I think all white would be really pretty.  My vanity is retro, and just needs to be refinished, so maybe this will be my all yellow statement piece of furniture.  Still haven't decided on the color of that yet either, but I know it will be moving with me to Kansas City.  Probably will be getting rid of one of my cane back chairs, and keeping the other that has arms.  I will need to get some new fabric for it though, and probably paint it all white as well.  I have this great mid-century style walnut chair as well which I would love to reupholster, but I think that will probably reside in my living room for now.

I just love this stripe, and its totally my style.
Bold, Graphic, Simple
So now what I have been hinting at for this whole post; my duvet cover!  This duvet has been something I have been eyeing for at least 4 months on west elm.  This particular one comes in three different colors, and initially I thought I would go for the yellow one, but after getting a yellow rug and the yellow pillows and quilt, I knew the gray one would be perfect!  So today actually I just sent in my order for the gray striped duvet, and I can't wait to get it on my bed!  :)  As you can tell I am very excited not only to move back to the city, but to get my room all organized and exactly the way I want it.


There are a few other items I want to get such as this etched letter from Urban Outfitters (the M of course!), and a pillow from there as well (in the yellow).  My side table need some painting as well, because currently it is black.  I really wish I had a bedside table that had some storage to hide away things instead of keeping everything on top of it.  So if I come across a cute bedside table on the cheap that may be something I add.  For now I'm happy with the table I have, its funky and retro and different.

So this post is waaaay longer than I had expected.  Once I start talking about design I tend to ramble on though!  Hopefully these posts keep coming to me, and you will have plenty to read about!  As for now, I will leave you with this.

Design is where science and art break even.  - Robin Mathew

Best,
Megan

No comments:

Post a Comment