Monday, January 30, 2012

My Leap List (and Monday's quick update)

Okay so before I get to my 'Leap List', here is a brief update of my Monday...  Back in Raytown, and back to work.  It seems like the days do go by fairly quickly now, and I am getting more and more things to do as the days go by.  Part of it I think is just learning what I need to be doing, or trying to study some of the products that they want me to know just by knowing the finishes or style of the doors.  After work since it was so nice, my dad was able to change the oil in my car and then we went and got some groceries.  Pretty uneventful day I guess...  I just hope this week goes by quickly, so I can spend time with Grant this weekend.





Okay so before I start this 'Leap List', I want to explain to you just exactly what it is if you haven't heard of it before.  Basically it is a list of things you want to do before the next big "leap" in your life.  I have always been a believer of having and keeping goals in your life, and this is just another way of setting goals for myself to achieve.  (these are in no real particular order, just what came to mind)

Megan's Leap List

1.  Find a Job I LOVE!

  So my "job" right now is less than appealing.  Not only is it unpaid, but it is residential and kitchens at that.  Now don't get me wrong, designing a kitchen for myself would be great, but when that is all you're doing for other people it gets boring.  I just don't see myself ever really enjoying doing something within the residential design world.  It's a whole other animal than I'm used to.  I don't really care if people think commercial design is boring or not (venting about someone who recently said this to me), it's what I enjoy.  I am glad for this opportunity, if only to further convince myself of where I need to be going in my career path.

2.  Travel More!

  It's not realistic at this very moment, but I hope that once number one is achieved I can take some weekends or some time to go back to the Grand Canyon, or go back to Yosemite, or even finally visit Seattle and Portland that I've always wanted to go to.  I also really really really wanna make a trip out to Colorado Springs a few times before Janelle's wedding!  I am so pumped about it!  :-P

3.  Get in shape again!

  So college life was great, going out for drinks, eating junk food at 1am at Stanley, etc.  Now its time to get back in shape and be healthy!  This is something I've wanted to do even while I was in college, but we all know how those college budgets are and how hard it is to keep with a good eating schedule while working and going to school.  I definitely wanna get toned up and lookin' good for my best friend's wedding!

4.  Buy a new car!

  Yeah, the old Impala is pushing 205,000 miles.  Its past due for me to get a new vehicle, but I'm not ready financially for one yet.  I just hope that it holds out until I get a new job and can afford a car payment.  I would really like to get another sedan, but smaller than my Impala.  I do like the Ford Escape, but it's pretty expensive and wouldn't get as good of gas mileage as say a Focus.  We'll see when that time comes...

5.  Get my own apartment!

  So moving back in with my parents after living on my own for a little over 4 years is not the most ideal situation.  But when you don't have a secure job yet, what else is there to do?  I can't wait to be able to be on my own again.  I love my parents, but having my freedom is just so nice.

6.  Get a puppy!

  Oh how I love dogs!  No other pets for me, just give me a dog and I'm a happy girl!  :)  I have wanted a dog for a very long time now!  Once I am on my own and established I could see myself having a dog.  Luckily while I'm living at home Ginger (our family golden retriever) is here for me to play with and love on!  :)

7.  Take the NCIDQ!

  I really want to be a licensed Interior Designer within the next 5 years, and in order to do so you have to pass The National Council for Interior Design Qualification exam.  Many people don't really know that Interior Design is a professional career that requires licensing in most states.  Design is not only about making things 'look nice', its much more about public safety and being responsible for the end users of the space you've created.  So don't just think it's all fun and games, we actually help you live a better life in buildings!  (or at least most of us do)

8.  Pay off a majority of my student loans!


  Ugh, that large number of student loans is lurking over my head.  I can't wait to start paying off that debt, and be done with it!  I know that I will probably be still paying it off by the time I get married (assuming I get married before another 10 years passes by  lol), but I would love to have a decent chunk of it payed off within the next 5 years.  Paying it off early would be great!

9.  Help out more in my community!


  So I know I am weird, but I really do enjoy doing volunteer work for my community.  I'm not just trying to do it to look good, I really do enjoy doing things that help people!  I have volunteered for Habitat for Humanity before and it was a really great experience.  Last spring I helped out at the Central Missouri Humane Society (granted it was for a class but it was so fun!), and got to walk shelter dogs.  I want to do more stuff like this in Kansas City and give back.

10.  Keep blogging!


  Since being inspired by my very best friend (since kindergarten) I have really enjoyed blogging almost daily.  I think its kind of therapeutic writing out my thoughts, or things about my day, etc.  I want to continue doing this throughout my life, and use it as a sort of written documentation of my life.


Okay, its time for bed sadly.  Gotta get my beauty rest and wake up fresh for work tomorrow.  yay (not)  So until next time...

Everything is designed.  Few things are designed well.  - Brian Reed

Best,
Megan


No comments:

Post a Comment