Friday, January 6, 2012

My secret lover...

Well what I'm really talking about is my love for music; another thing that has been more prevalent in my life now that I have a bit more free time.  Music has always been very close to my heart.  Growing up I have vivid memories riding around with my dad listening to Led Zeppelin, Pink Floyd, The Rolling Stones, etc.  My dad is the source for many of my hobbies you could say, and we definitely share a passion for music.  He got me interested in vinyl records at a young age and now my collection keeps growing and growing.  So I thought that I would share some of my obsessions lately...

First off we have a band from Irvine, California called Young the Giant.  Their single Cough Syrup can be heard on Sirus AltNation, but I prefer this song much more of the same album.  This video is an acoustic live version which is really great!  It's called 'Apartment'


Next up we have Washed Out.  I have heard a few of their songs, and didn't even realize it was them.  This past weekend when watching Portlandia I was reminded of how great this song really is!  Very mellow and chill.  


This band has become a new favorite, and you just gotta love a female vocalist.  The Joy Formidable's song Whirring is a great up-beat song. 


So if indie bands can be called "well known" this band would be the perfect definition of that.  Fleet Foxes has that perfect mix of great vocals, lots of instruments, and a touch of folk to their music.  Love, love, love them. This song isn't new by any means, but I find myself listening to it a lot lately.


Of Monsters and Men has been playing on my local station here in Columbia, and I can't get enough of this song.  Gotta love that accordion!  :-P


If I were to have any secret lovers, this band takes the cake!  I have been totally obsessed with them since my Junior year in high school!  The Black Keys just came out with a new album entitled El Camino, and their first single on this album is 'Lonely Boy'.  Although this album was produced by Dangermouse (and you can definitely tell the difference between this album and their previous 'Brothers'), it still rings true to their original sound and style.  Gotta love these bluesy boys. (p.s. if you don't know the band, this guy is not Dan Auerbach or Patrick Carney in the video.)


I don't know what it is about this band, and particularly this song, but its soooo addicting!  The Cults just make me smile with this one.  The rest of the album is pretty good too!


So this one has been on my recently played for several months now.  I just don't get tired of Grizzly Bear.  I just love the melodic nature of this track.  Music video is a bit weird, but hey.


Monsters of Folk is another band that I have been listening to for quite a while, and just haven't ever gotten tired of this song.  They're not that well known, so I thought I'd share!


This next one is a hit of miss with people.  Some people can't stand his voice, but I love this album and his voice.  It's not for everyone.  Although Bon Iver's most popular song is probably Skinny Love, this song is also one of my favorites.


Obsessed with this song!!!  So basically if there is clapping or whistling in a song, you can almost be sure I will LOVE it.  lol  Heart it Races by Dr. Dog is just such a great song!


Iron & Wine has been around for a while, and I have always been a fan.  I guess I really dig the lo-fi stuff, cause I find myself listening to him a lot.  This is one of my favorites from him (and I just recently got this on vinyl)  His voice just makes me melt.  


And to end this post, a song that myself and someone very close to me ;) loves right now is from Gotye.  The lyrics just give me chills; in a good way.  



Such a beautiful yellow and white pattern.  The floral
is not so overpowering either it will really look nice
among other patterns.
Now that that is out of my system (for a while) I wanted to share with you some AMAZING fabric I found while looking at etsy last night.  Pretty sure I'm going to get a yard of this to reupholster that cane back chair I mentioned yesterday.  This little beauty is only $10.95 per yard, so I think I'm going to snatch it up.  It will look so great on my chair once it is painted white.  I love that it has that vintage look too, which I think will play nicely with the bold graphic patterns I already have going on.  eeee!  I'm as giddy as a school girl.  :-P  So with that I must be going to work now.  Hope you have a wonderful day!  

This is the closest picture I found on google images as to
what my cane back chair looks like.  This one has more
detail on the legs though.
















I'm convinced that without bad design, the world would be a far less stimulating place; we would have nothing to marvel over and nothing to be nostalgic about. - Carrie Phillips

Best,
Megan

No comments:

Post a Comment